Today my Ubuntu system had a strange pathology, almost freezing in any Internet connection, whether using a cable connection or wireless, even ping did not answer and nothing wrong on the process table… I checked the hardware by dual-booting on windows (for the first time since I installed Linux on this laptop) and seeing no such feature on Explorer. After a few reboots, it came back to normal. I wonder if this is an incomplete safety upgrade or a signal that my cheap laptop is coming close to the end of its life cycle. A life started right after Kyoto. Since I am leaving for Pittsburgh and Toronto next week, I should try to re-install a Linux version on another machine this weekend….
Archive for Ubuntu 12.04
As the issue of having to pay a lot to connect to the Internet during my jetlagged night sessions was bothering me, I bought a 3G device in a nearby Vodafone shop to do the job (at the mere cost of four hours of connection!). It is a Vodafone USB Stick K3773 and I was unsure it would work under Linux (Ubuntu 12.04). When mounting the USB stick, I first saw there was a Linux directory on the stick, with the instruction to run ./install as root. I tried that and it did not work. I then checked the stick was working under windows, which was the case. I could not find helpful advices on the forums (fori!). So I fiddled for a few minutes and came with the idea of installing from my directory rather than from the (read-only) disk. Changed the attributes of the install file to executable. And ran it again. It surprisingly worked! The device is now recognised as a network wired connection (eth1) whenever I start my (Compaq) laptop.
Here are my commands, in case it helps:
xian$ mkdir QuickStart xian$ cp /media/QuickStart\ 3.7/linux_mbb_install/* QuickStart/. xian$ cd QuickStart xian$ chmod +x install xian$ sudo ./install
It is rather slow (20 Kb/s) but this may a good way to manage my time on line!
Following the crash of my hard drive right before leaving Kyoto, I bought a cheap Compaq Presario CQ57 to reinstall Ubuntu 12.04 over the weekend (and have a laptop available before leaving for Australia…) It took about one hour to install from the DVD and everything seems to be working out of the box. The only part where I wasted time was the partition as I kept the original Windows 7 as dual boot, in case I recover my Macbook Pro early enough (and can get rid of this as a safety backup)… I had to remove one of the four partitions found on the computer to create unallocated space for the three Linux partitions (swat, / and /home, which took a while sine I had to do it under Windows 7 (which went for ever to update revisions I was not the slightest interested in…)
I wrote the above yesterday night and, this morning, Gilles Barés, computer wizz (and fantastic photographer!) manages to recover the contents of my hard-drive by reading it on another Macbook with Ubuntu on it… As it happens, there was nothing wrong with the hard-drive in the end, “simply” the motherboard was doing funny things..! I thus have now a new operational Macbook Pro with Ubuntu 12.04! Plus this backup Compaq I may leave at home for emergencies…
A further update a day later (07/04)is that AppleCare eventually accepted to handle my Macbook (after forcing me to reinstall an Apple OS on the disk!) and found that the issue was the cable connecting the motherboard to the hard-drive. This is repaired and I thus hope to take my old laptop with me to Australia in three days!